November is National Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month!

The cutest things in the world are kittens and puppies, right? Those disproportionately-large heads, those enormous eyes, that boundless energy and clumsiness, the amoral gleam in their eyes: Nothing in the world is cuter. Right? 


In spite of the obscene, cuddly cuteness of baby kittens and puplets, I admit I find something else even more adorable: An adult animal, especially a senior, that doesn't pee all over my carpet and expend enough energy to make a meth addict crave a nap. 


I LOVE SENIOR ANIMALS. They're awesome. Like me, they're low-key, snuggly, and already know what truly matters in life: snuggles, warmth, and boundless love. 


In case I haven't yet totally harshed your kitten/puppy buzz, below are some reasons from Petfinder and me listing why senior animals are a family's best friend:


1. Baby animals, especially puppies, pee a lot. Seniors have already been potty trained.
2. You're in the mood for a nap and some bad TV? Guess what? So is a senior pet. Even better, they'll probably snuggle with you throughout the whole thing.
3. I know it sounds like I'm making this up, but I swear I'm not: Senior animals somehow have the emotional maturity to understand you offered them a reprieve. They will adore you. You know how everyone says animals offer unconditional love? Imagine that plus pure, continuous worship. Yeah, it's pretty freakin' awesome.
4. According to Petfinder, senior animals are easier to teach. I've always said intelligence is part intellectual and part emotional; senior animals just seem to have the maturity to concentrate harder and succeed more.
5. I have a few cats and have found the older a cat, the likelier s/he is to concentrate more on me and less on other cats. To put it a bit more nerdily: my importance to my kitties is positively correlated with their age. Not to be narcissistic or anything, but who doesn't love being number one?
6. If you have ever wanted to be a superhero like the ones you read about, the fastest and most effective way to do that is to save those whom most others have abandoned and forgotten: senior animals.


If there is any part of you that wants to make a difference in an animal's life and give yourself the best gift imaginable, I urge you to adopt a senior pet right now. If you're unsure how, try Petfinder or message me. 


Thanks, superhero. 

This is me with Velly, a beloved companion and soul mate
who has since passed. I wouldn't trade a single day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public Peeing: A Case for Gender Desegregation

Bustin' Some Welfare Myths

The Fat Twin Phenomenon