Thanksgiving in December

I woke up this morning in a foul mood. How dare morning come before I was ready? Do the neighborhood dogs ever stop barking? What had possessed me to leave dishes in the sink last night? How did I let myself run out of coconut milk coffee creamer? Why do showers have to be so wet? And why, why do so many letters of the alphabet rhyme?
You know that bleary scowl so many of us have upon cracking our eyelids? Yeah, mine never left my face.
happiness
Something like this.
After my fiancé scurried off to work and my cats abandoned me to my glaring glory, I ordered myself to stop being such an epic grump. Then, much to my chagrin, what vision should dance like a sugarplum in my head? Of all things, a Facebook meme, background all peaceful, words in a soothing font, saying something about when you’re feeling like the Grinch Who Stole Sunshiny Happiness, make a list of all the things for which you’re grateful.
So I did. A few hours later, I’m back to my smiling self, so perhaps Facebook’s boundless wisdom has struck again. Although I know we’re much closer to Hanukkah, Solstice, Christmas, and Kwanzaa than Thanksgiving, below is the list I compiled detailing the things, some authorly and some not, for which I am profoundly thankful.
What are some things for which you’re grateful? And happy holidays!
  1. Ella Fitzgerald, who croons to me while my fingers tap across the keyboard.
  2. Lentils.
  3. Since I was just a wee lass, my bucket list has included publishing a novel. Item crossed off. Times 3 3/4! Woot!
  4. First World, middle-class basics: Clean drinking water, indoor plumbing, washing machines, higher education, central air. I just bought my first house and have finally experienced the joys of garages. Not to rub it in to those who are tragically garage-less, but they rock, folks. They freakin’ rock.
  5. Free Android apps. I’m convinced my Scrabble™-esque app is at least partially to blame for my continued decent-to-sparkling spelling skills.
  6. When one of my cats lies down between the keyboard and the computer monitor rather than sitting there, ostentatiously grooming herself while I try to peer around her.
  7. People who take the time to review books on Amazon. There’s a special place in heaven for those folks.
  8. That squirting, spraying nozzle thingy near the faucet on the sink.
  9. I am not one of the nearly 800 million global citizens who is illiterate. Reading books is my refuge; writing them is my greatest passion.
  10. This exercise in gratitude sparked an idea for a blog post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public Peeing: A Case for Gender Desegregation

Bustin' Some Welfare Myths

The Fat Twin Phenomenon